Head of School Transition
Beginning in 2021 and concluding in 2022, the Board of Trustees in partnership with Head of School Dr. Lori-Anne Brogdon, faculty, staff, and parents from across divisions embarked on developing a “next chapter” Strategic Plan for Catherine Cook School. This plan builds on the school’s solid foundation as a leader in whole-child education; innovation immersion; and Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) programming to achieve next-level excellence and sustainability in all areas. As the school began to implement this plan in 2023, the Board of Trustees considered the longer-term leadership needs of the school and appropriate transition points. Thus, Dr. Brogdon will continue to lead the school throughout the 2023–2024 school year and conclude her contract on June 30, 2024, after five impactful years at Catherine Cook. The new Head of School will start effective July 1, 2024.
Head of School Search Committee
Co-Chair of Board of Trustees, Alumni Parent
Treasurer of Board of Trustees, Current and Alumni Parent
School Librarian, MS Advisor, Current EC Parent
Current EC & LS Parent
Current MS Parent
Vice President of Parent Association, Current EC & LS Parent
Current LS Parent
Member At Large of Board of Trustees, Current LS & MS Parent
MS Humanities Teacher
Current LS, MS, and Alumni Parent
October - Early November 2023: Educational Directions recruits Head of School candidates, conducts initial interviews and background/reference checks, and together with the Head of School Search Committee selects a subset of candidates to progress to the second round
November - Early December 2023: Head of School Search Committee conducts second-round interviews and selects finalists
January 2024: Finalist interviews and campus visits; town hall meetings with whole community
January - February 2024: New Head of School announced
Winter/Spring 2024: Announce plans and process for Head of Early Childhood placement
July 1, 2024: New Head of School assumes responsibility
Below are some frequently asked questions from across our community. The Board of Trustees and Head of School Search Committee will work to keep this list and our responses up to date. Please respect that some aspects of this process must remain confidential; however, we are committed to keeping all members of our community engaged and informed to the extent possible. If you have any follow-up questions, please email us at email@example.com.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Why is this the right time for Catherine Cook to transition to a new Head of School?
- What are we looking for in a new Head of School?
- What is the future Strategic Plan for the school?
- What is the role of the Board of Trustees in the Head of School search?
- Who is the Board of Trustees?
- What is the role of the Search Committee in the Head of School search and how were they selected?
- What is the role of faculty & staff in the Head of School search?
- What is the role of parents, students and families in the Head of School search?
- Who are the Head of School search consultants? What do they do?
- What will be Dr. Brodgon’s role in the transition?
- Should we expect an interim Head of School?
- How will the Head of School search coincide with the Head of Early Childhood search?
- To whom should I send feedback or the name of a great candidate?
- When and how will the community be updated on the search process?
- How can I participate in the Head of School search?