About Admission Academics  Athletics Student Life Support CCS
Home >
About > History

History

The community that would eventually become Catherine Cook School was founded in 1975 as the Melrose Cooperative Nursery School, housed in the Jewish Community Center. Soon after, it added lower grades to existing preschool programs. In 1985, the school moved to Immaculate Conception Church, next-door to its current location. By 1990, the school's population had grown enough that it was able to purchase and renovate the B&B Shoe Company building at 226 West Schiller. Alex Anagnost, the building's owner, agreed to sell if the trustees would name the school after his late mother, Catherine Cook.  

With more spirit and determination than funds, a passionate group of teachers and parents opened the renovated building in 1992. As the school continued to grow, a transition to a professional administrative structure took place. The Board of Trustees rewrote its bylaws in the traditional model of an independent school. In 1997, the school reorganized into its current incarnation as an independent school.

CCS has grown rapidly since that time and stands today as a testimony to the vision, commitment, and care of creative teachers, parents, and trustees. The best evidence of our success is the daily stream of children who enter our school with a smile and a lively step in eager anticipation of a productive day in their school community.





Bookmark and Share

© 2012 The Catherine Cook School  |  226 West Schiller Street   |   Chicago, Illinois 60610-1808   |  312.266.3381 Questions or Comments? Contact Us


   

powered by finalsite